*** FOR RAPPAHANNOCK ONLY ***
As the leaves fall and the days shorten, our minds turn to pie! Apple pie and sweet potato pie are classics for good reason - they highlight seasonal produce in such delicious ways. Adding fresh ginger to sweet potato pie brightens it up and an oatmeal crumble topping on an apple pie adds a fun texture. Sunnyside grains, wheat and oats, make for a super local and flavor-packed dessert!
Try these recipes for Apple Pie with Oat Crumble Topping AND Sweet Potato Pie with Ginger.
Each pie kit contains:
- 1/2 lb (approx 2 cups) rolled oats - Nutty and tender, these Sunnyside oats make a fantastic crumble topping for pie.
- 1.25-1.5# (3-4 cups) whole wheat flour - Freshly milled from Sunnyside wheat, this flour is flavorful and hearty. If it's your first time baking with whole wheat flour, try subbing in some all-purpose flour to make the pie dough easier to work with.
- 8 Grimes Golden apples - These pie-perfect apples are tart and sweet.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes - Steam or bake the sweet potatoes whole and then peel to use for pie filling.
- 1 piece of ginger (2-3 inches) - Grate on a microplane or fine grater and add to the sweet potato mixture.
- 1 small jar of honey - Using honey in place of the sugar in the oatmeal crumble topping adds extra flavor and nutrition. For 1/2 cup of sugar use 1/3 cup of honey.
Sorry, no substitutions at this time.